Hardwood flooring expert Suresh Kumar Mansukhani of the Denmark-based hardwood flooring company Junckers, has shared tips on how to maintain the floor:
* Vacuum hard-surface floors instead of dust-mop. Vacuuming using a backpack vacuum actually pulls and removes sand, dust, and grit from floors.
* Burnish or buff (if using a low-speed finish) much more frequently to further clean the floor and restore its shine.
* In high-traffic areas, like the dining room and kitchen, one should sweep daily, if possible, and mop once or twice a week. Mop less-trafficked areas once a month or once a season.
* Wipe up all spills immediately to avoid permanent stains.
* Dust daily to keep dust and dirt off the floor. This will prevent scratching and essentially extend the beauty and life of your floor.
* Use water-based polishes to restore lustre and shine every two to three months. These polishes won’t leave a residue or emit harmful toxins, plus they will prevent over-cleaning and stripping of your floor.
* Do use a floor-cleaning product recommended by the floor finisher or opt for plain soap and water.