According to Amul S. Bahl, founder of wellness solutions provider God’s Own Store, one can keep skin healthy and glowing for years to come by following these natural tips:
* Pump it up with the liquids: Hydrated skin glows and radiates happiness. Drinking plenty of water (15 to 20 glasses a day) also helps in keeping your skin looking younger. Have honey lime water in the morning.
* Sip some tea: Green tea is packed with natural antioxidants, which helps in delaying the ageing process. Avoid the temptation for coffee and aerated drinks. Limiting the intake of caffeine, alcohol and aerated drinks will keep the skin hydrated.
* Don’t smoke: Smoking makes your skin look older and contributes to wrinkles. This depletes the skin of oxygen and nutrients that are important to skin health.
Smoking also damages collagen and elastin – the fibres that give your skin strength and elasticity. In addition, the repetitive facial expressions you make when smoking – such as pursing your lips when inhaling and squinting your eyes to keep out smoke – can contribute to wrinkles. If you smoke, the best way to protect your skin is to quit.
* Treat your skin gently: We should be gentle with our skin. Limit your bath or shower time, and use warm, rather than hot water. Deodorant body soaps and anti-bacterial soaps should be avoided for regular use. Strong soaps and detergents can strip oil from your skin. Instead, choose mild cleansers.
* Cleanse and moisturize: Cleansing helps in removing residual elements on the skin to make its pores open and breathing. Regular cleaning makes your face fresh and clean. Moisturizing your skin will keep it looking radiant and glowing throughout the day. Exfoliating your face on a regular basis can improve the results of your skincare routine and help rejuvenate your skin. Choose the natural cleansers, exfoliators and moisturizers for a healthier skin.
* Put your skin on a healthy diet: Eating right is essential for skincare and beauty. Adding seeds, nuts, vegetables and seasonal fruits to the daily diet will show on the skin. High on water content vegetables like lettuce, carrot, cucumber, daikon radish (which is revered by Ayurvedic healers for its purifying properties), fennel, and tender asparagus tips are good for all types of skin. Include almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and other nuts to your oatmeal as an afternoon snack.